Monday, May 12, 2014

Wandering Taíno

So if you're like me you are a displaced puertorriqueño. Born in New York to Puerto Rican parents I still love my island and my culture. However, since I joined the Army and traveled around I find it hard to buy the things that I was use to growing up. I miss my mom's pasteles, empanadas con carne,
alcapurria, arroz con pollo, you get the picture. I've been able to sometimes find some Goya products in the commissaries and Wal-mart but not always. I mostly buy them online.

I finally retired from the Army and now live in Charleston, South Carolina. Mecca for Puerto Ricans? Not. However, we are everywhere. After settling in I found out that my neighbor acroos the street is Puerto Rican as well as the neighbor down the street. Its still; not the same as New York or Miami but it will do for now.

One of the pluses about moving to South Carolina is that they don't require a front license plate. Now I can put my new Borinquen license plate on. That's a win for me. Wepa!


No comments :

Post a Comment